THE GARDEN NOW

IT'S SUMMER AT THE GARDEN

LIGHT, COLOR AND FRESHNESS

ARCHITECTURE | GREENHOUSES AND WOODEN SHADE-HOUSE

The construction of the first greenhouses and shade-houses was directed by José Pizcueta. These installations served to safeguard the exotic plants from the winter cold, summer sun and high temperatures.

Between 1845 and 1850, the architect Timoteo Calvo erected a greenhouse built of wood and glass, which used to be where the pond greenhouse is now, next to the Na Rovella stream. The 180 m structure 2, faced South, measuring 5m at the highest point and 30 m long. Some years later, behind the greenhouse, covering a surface area of 800 m2, a plant-covered arbour or shade-house was constructed, which had 57 wooden columns.

At present, a hill called the Muntanyeta is to be found on the same spot. Indeed, neither the greenhouse nor the shade-house lasted long because the wood rotted, due to the high humidity and heat to which it was exposed.